Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Like, you all care....

....but self-absorbed exhibitionism social networking is what Web 2.0 is all about, right?

Mike Haubrich tagged us with the Six Things Meme. The rules are:
  1. Link to the person who tagged you. [see above]
  2. Post the rules on your blog. [well, you're reading this, aren't you?]
  3. Write six random things about yourself. [below]
  4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them. [below]
  5. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog. [yeah, yeah, I'll get around to it]
  6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up. [more YYIGATI]
My Six Boring Trivial Dumb Random Things:
  1. I have an earring. I got it when I was 38yo, just for the hell of it (or maybe it was a subconcious midlife-crisis-oh-god-lets-pretend-we're-still-23 thing). Anyway, it sort of goes with the beard/pony-tail/hippy image. I had heard that having an earring on the right side was signalling that one was gay, so I decided to get mine on the left. It's not that I object to people thinking I'm gay, but, well, I believe in clear communication (assuming the left-right thing is true, which it may not be anyway).
  2. I still have a scar on my right knee from falling off my bike when I was about 8yo. I was trying to do a 180 on the street when I hit a patch of gravel. The bike slid out, and I went down with my leg underneath, against the pavement. Ouch, with significant quantities of blood.
  3. The other night when there was that big boloid over Saskatchewan? I also saw a meteor. I was standing outside work waiting for my ride, about 6:30pm. It was pretty bright, though no where near the Saskatchewan rock. From memory of my days in the astro-hobby, I dredged up that late November is the Leonids meteor shower.
  4. I have not one but two fishponds in my backyard. Why? Because it's less trouble than cutting the grass in those spots.
  5. My other silly hobby is model trains. That's good: the trains and the ponds sort of complement each other, season-wise. Serious model railroaders are really pretty obsessive. Not only do they build these miniature worlds in excruciating detail, they even run their trains on a schedule, carrying imaginary passengers and freight, and observing the proper operating rules to prevent collisions etc. Sort of like war-gamers, only with a self-propelled element to the game pieces. I also have a blog for that hobby, but I can't point you to it because that would reveal my True Identity, and then I'd have to kill you (well, those of you who don't already know me in Real Life, anyway).
  6. But speaking of True Identities, I'll use my sixth item for a Revelation -- maybe even a Confession. You may have noticed occasional references to local Christian blogger Deborah Gyapong. I also drop the occasional comment over there. What most people don't know (except a few I've told in person) is that we used to know Debbie in real life. Between roughly 15 and 20 years ago we were in a fellowship/Bible study together. It's safe to say that we've been moving in diametrically opposite directions ever since. I don't think she's figured out who her occasional critic is. If she happens to read this -- which I doubt, but you never know -- she'll have no difficulty figuring it out (it wasn't that big a group).
Surprisingly, not quite everyone in my RSS subscription list has been tagged yet by someone else, so:
  1. A.J.Milne
  2. Chris Nedin at Ediacaran, an old talk.origins friend.
  3. Duae Quartunciae, another old t.o'er.
  4. Adina, because she hasn't posted anything in a long time.
  5. Andrew Arensburger at Epsilon Clue, yet another old Howler.
  6. King Aardvark, who will probably kick me there for doing this to him.

3 comments:

Mike Haubrich, FCD said...

Kind of strange how people you knew a long time ago find you because of the internet. Alden is someone I haven't seen in nearly thirty years, yet he is a regular oommnenter. Thanks for continuing the meme, Eamon.

Anonymous said...

Hi EK,

Since you mentioned trains, I can bring up something I've been meaning to ask. Have you seen the TV program Swiss Rail Journeys on PBS Friday nights at 22:00? It's a travelogue centred around train companies in Switzerland. They spend each episode going over a particular train route in detail. Imagine spending an hour to describe a single train route that can be as short as 30 km.

I got hooked on the show because of the scenery. There were a lot of aerial shots, and at first glance, it wasn't clear whether I was looking at a really nice model or the real thing. I got such a chuckle out of that, I continued to watch, and found that I really like the combination of history, geography, technology and travel documentary. Now my wife is hooked too.

If you haven't seen the show, check it out. This is at the second showing of the series, so I'm not sure how many more episodes you will be able to catch. I have a few on my DVR, which I could burn to a DVD for you if you want.

βPer

Metro said...

Heh. I got my ear-ring when i was thirty, in Byron Bay Australia during my most satisfying trip ever.

It seemed appropriate, and during my army time I'd never had the opportunity.

I took it out upon return to Canada because I began to feel like an aging bust generation-er desperate for some self-expression.